Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Mudbowl and Steals

Every year my Dad's side of the family plays an annual football game coined 'MudBowl'. This is the nineteenth year for it. It used to be played around Thanksgiving, but now Christmas time seems to work better with schedules. I have no idea how it got started, so if anyone knows please enlighten me!
last year
It used to be where we were all so fast and athletic and could run the field over and over again. As we have gotten older, things have slowed down just a bit. For example, as we were walking off the field this year, Philip was complaining he pulled his flexor muscle. I was limping, stating I thought my foot was broken. and my dad informed us he thinks he cracked a rib. we are getting old, people. 
But we weren't too sore to not enjoy our lunch prepared by Auntie Jo and consume all the calories we had burned off. After each game, we vote. It used to be for MVP. We buy a Nerf football and everyone who was there that year signs it. We vote and the winner gets to take the football home. Philip won it one year and it is displayed on our mantel:) We have switched from MVP to 'Best Sportsmanship Award'. (probably after Philip entered the picture and scored every touchdown) Joey won this year and so he got to take home the signed football:)
I will tell you who wasn't eligible for the sportsmanship award: my cousin Doug. He was assigned to prevent me from rushing the QB, and knocked me down so hard I couldn't breathe and had grass embedded in my hair. not nice. and JC was, well, JC, so that knocks him out of the running. And Emily's comments from the sidelines (although in favor of my team!) put her out of the running as well. Mom and AJ could have easily won, but cheerleaders don't typically get voted for. It was too cold for Emma to cheer us on, so she had to watch from inside:)
2009
Anyway, I was hobbling around the ER yesterday at work whining about my broken foot and wound-tight hamstrings. Lucky for me I had a massage gift card from my Aunt Ellen, and they had an opening at 8, right after I got off work! best.massage.ever.

Today my Mom and I hit the after-Christmas deals. We decided this is way better than getting clothes on Christmas Day. We got some MAJOR steals and are both quite proud of the money we saved!!! Plus it was wonderful spending the day with just her:) We decided today that this will be an annual tradition.


1 comment:

L.B. said...

Sounds like fun and I want to see video...of course that might be too incriminating. Hope your foot feels better.