Tuesday, December 6, 2011

wreath and some food

Well, The Christmas Spirit has been on the backburner the last few days because I seem to have come down with a seasonal sinus cold. I was able to leave work early on Sunday, thank goodness, but yesterday was a rough 12 hours of coughing, sniffling and head pounding- all while trying to take care of patients. BUT, i survived and am hoping I am on the up-swing (fingers crossed!).
As I said in the previous post, Mom and Dad came up on Saturday. Mom and I worked on a wreath I decided I wanted to make. I wanted the kind where it is all glass colored ornaments in a big circle. No greenery, no lights, just ornaments. So we did our internet research and got to work. We went to Hobby  Lobby and got all the supplies we needed. The plan was to get a styrofoam wreath, and hot glue the ornaments to it and each other. then tie it up with a big bow and hang it on the door. so simple right?! WRONG. We had so much trouble getting the glue to stick. to anything. we were both so frustrated and disappointed. and now we had 70something ornaments!
So Mom came back up today to help me rectify the situation. We pulled all the ornaments off, covered the styrofoam in felt and tried a stronger kind of glue. still no luck. (insert expletive here)
So I happened to come across a DIY wreath on Pinterest. Where you take a wire coat hanger, unravel it and mold it into a circle, and then string the ornaments on the wire and let them fall in all different ways to make a big circle.
SO FREAKIN EASY! i mean, look how it turned out!
*Find the full tutorial here.*
So, after several broken ornaments, fingers covered in glue and a few swear words, Mom and I finally achieved the wreath we had been dreaming of. geesh.

Tonight, Southland sponsored a drive where you went and packed meals to send to Haiti. Our church is sending over a million meals to feed thousands of Haitians. It was so cool to be a part of something so big. 
Jordan and I keeping our hair out of the food!

We filled bags with dried vegetables, vitamin powder, soy and rice. I'm not gonna lie- the dust from the soy was not the cure for my cough:) but I am not complaining! (just whining)

and just for good measure- a few pics of the critters

Now, Tylenol Sinus- here I come :)



2 comments:

Blissfully Burton said...

i thought that was the way you were going to do it the whole time! how was the other way? you and jordan look cute :)

Kari said...

i love it!!! Doni would be proud of your color choices! The coat hanger way is THE way to go - I didn't realize there was another way. I made one last year with Doni, here's how mine turned out:
http://karicorsi.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-facelift.html