Friday, January 7, 2011

Mom is RETIRED!!!

Last night we celebrated my Mom's retirement. December was her last month teaching. and she never really had a "last day" because the days leading up Christmas break were all snow days. what a way to end! But it was probably better she didn't have to say bye to everyone. she wouldn't have done well with that.
So last night a bunch of her friends and my aunts threw her a party! It was so nice. The food was delicious. Teachers always seem to know how to cook. and so many people came. Anna Jo had prepared a slide show, and it was a huge hit.
Mom worked for Scott County Schools for 27 years! 4 at Georgetown Middle, 16 at Eastern Elementary (her home) and then 7 as a diagnostician.
Eastern's colors are royal blue and yellow. So when a teacher retires from Eastern, she becomes a 'sapphire'. Tradition is that that teacher gets a sapphire in some form as a gift. Mom did not expect to get one. Since technically she didn't retire from Eastern. But everyone knows that is her true home. and so her friends got her a BEAUTIFUL sapphire necklace (which just so happens to be my birthstone...). They also got her a very pretty ceramic plate that had things about Scott county on it. Mom was so touched. Of course she hated being in front of everyone and having everyone looking at her, but thats just her.

So many people came up to me last night to tell me how much they have enjoyed working with mom. and how her positive attitude was such a joy. and that her encouragement helped them so much. and several people told me they were still 'pretending' mom still works there because they can't handle the fact that she isn't. And these are just people she works with. Parents and kids tell me all the time how much mom changed them. and how much they loved her. and I am so proud of her. for 27 years Mom has used her profession to love people; big and little people:) and last night it showed how much that love affected people.

2 comments:

Blissfully Burton said...

Love the pictures! Your Mom looks so good! And I LOVE the M.A. Hadley plate (or is it Louiseville Stoneware?)! Definitely a teacher-staple! haha

Anonymous said...

Amanda- your mom desevered such a wonderful party. I LOVED being able to work with her during my practicum. She was definitely a light when I needed her and always willing to listen. Tell her congrats and I know she and your dad will enjoy their cruise.