Friday, January 21, 2011

catch-up

As I told you before, January had promised to be a rough month for our little family. But it hasn't turned out to be as terrible as I feared. I was able to switch my schedule around and be off on days Philip was off, so that helped. But this month has just drained him, I can tell. He works 30+ hours every 3rd day. Today he got home at 1230 after being at the hospital for 32 hours straight, with no sleep. He is sleeping right now, and will get up about 6, eat dinner (homemade pizza~), and go back to bed around 9 to be back at the hospital at 6am. It's a tough schedule. and I feel bad for him, because I know how much I love and need my sleep. and he does way better than I would do on that kind of schedule. I guess that is why God called HIM to be a doctor, not me :)
this was taken before Philip's first shift at UK as a resident:)
 One aspect that is really hard on each of us, is the time we get to spend with our friends. Most of our friends are married and like to do things as couples, which we both love. but when time is so limited, we miss out on a lot. and it's hard to always be "that couple" that misses out on things. and I find myself getting frustrated at his job for taking up so much time. but I know that's not fair. and he can tell when I go into that thought process. because he tries really hard to fit in friend time when he can- but let's be honest. he is just exhausted the majority of the time. and so a lot of our quality time this month has involved eating in and renting movies. and I am grateful for even that. but I still get sad when our friends are hanging out or going out and we don't get to go.
Wednesday night Philip and i were both off work and got to join our life group at a class at SCC called 'after the alter'. this past week was on money. which as most of you who know me, you know how I am with money. I thought the lesson was alright- mostly geared towards how to teach your children about being stewards of their money. a nice lesson to tuck away in a file for the future. but it did reiterate for me that there are so many people in this world that do without. people that live without so many luxuries that I have grown accustomed to. the mission trips I have been blessed to go on, have shown me a different world where people don't have things. where people wear the same clothes every day because that's all they have. and where you could wear the same thing every day and not be judged for it. and it humbles me and makes me realize what a spoiled american that I am. anyway- money is an entirely different blog that I could go on and on about, but I won't. because I am trying to catch you up on our life.

Maya and Jackson have kept me company on days/nights when Philip is gone. despite what I sometimes say, I am really glad we have them. for example philip worked all night last night and I woke up in the middle of the night and jackson was sprawled out squished up next to me on the left (i let him sleep in the bed when philip's gone) and Maya was sprawled out squished up against me on the right. and I didn't feel so alone. times like this make me feel bad for telling them they are ruining our carpet, furniture, house, etc.
We made an appointment for Jackson to get snip-snipped. We had an appointment in December, but philip got nervous that having Jax neutered would change his personality. and so he cancelled it until he got to talk to our favorite vet, Dr McCord about it. so now the big day is Feb 14. Happy Valentine's Day Jax:).
I hope everyone has had a happy snow-day today and stayed warm:)

2 comments:

Blissfully Burton said...

:) We miss seeing you all alot, too! But just remember, it won't always be like this, but we will always be here!! :) Our lives as friendships are going to go through lots of different things, but I know that you and I are such good friends that we will always remain close and when Philip is able to get more time, we will want to be 'coupled' up with you guys all the time! :)

Unknown said...

awww Amanda....you and Phillip will have a LIFETIME of happy memoris and his residency days will fade away. It is those who bear it together that come ut stronger on thge other side!
call me or Sue and we will come keep you company!!