Monday, December 13, 2010

NOT loving the snow. weird, I know.

We have snow. lots of snow. and as I have said before, i LOVE snow. so I can honestly say this is the first time in my life I went to bed thinking "please don't snow all night". not because I have to work today. I am off today and even tomorrow. There is a much bigger reason I am not loving this snow. My husband's wedding band is lost in it.
Last night we went to Megan and Brian's for dinner with our life group. It was wonderful and so yummy and we had such a good time. Well it was snowing, a lot. So Philip said we better get going before we get stuck. So we went outside to get in our car. When Philip opened his car door, a bunch of snow fell in onto his seat. He went to scrape the snow out, and when he flung the snow, he flung his ring with it. He said he heard it land in the snow. So we look around for a little 'O' shaped indent in the snow. nothing. so i start yelling for Megan. Her, Brian, Nick and Jordan all come out to help us look. looking turned into searching. I started using a rake, hoping we would hear a 'ping' when it hit the ring. we got out a spade, a shovel. even a golf club. nick downloaded a metal detector app on his iphone (it didnt work). we raked and searched that yard for at least an hour. in less than 20 degree weather. Philip with no coat or gloves. me in borrowed gloves. Their neighbors came home and came out and helped us look. Finally we just got so cold we gave up. We got in the car, and I cried. I know, its silly. I mean, I can order the exact same ring. I can even get it inscribed with the exact same wording. but it wont be the EXACT same ring. it won't be the ring I put on his finger on our wedding day. or the ring he had such trouble getting used to in Mexico. it wont be the same. and so I cried.
The good news is, the ring still has to be there. somewhere. as I sit here and watch the snow globe that is Lexington right now, all I can think about are the inches of snow piling up on his wedding band. ugh.
We came home and got on the internet as soon as we got home. we wanted to know if a metal detector can even detect Tungsten. They say yes, that metal detectors use conductivity and tungsten conducts. So we looked up where to buy a metal detector. Luckily we have several options.
If it ever stops snowing I hope to attack the yard again. and I really hope we find his ring :/

6 comments:

Blissfully Burton said...

Sorry the night turned so horrible for you guys. :( Don't worry ~ we will find it!! I promise! But, I would have cried too.

Kari said...

I hope the snow goes away soon and the ring is in clear sight! And don't feel silly, I would've been crying as well!

amanda said...

we found it!!! Philip rented a metal detector for $16 and swept Meg's yard until it beeped! It is now safe and sound back on his hand. YAY!!!

Kari said...

YAY!!!! What a relief!

Melody said...

A few months after we were married Curtis and a friend CJ rode their bicycles 250 miles from Kalamazoo to EJ. They stopped at a grungy gas station for a nature break. When washing his hands and face off came his wedding band...down the sink! He had to take the plumbing apart to get it back eewwhhh! He didn't dare show up to a family reunion without the ring!

Jase said...

YAY, glad it was found! I think I almost cried reading this entry because, I could see the tears in your eyes as I read! Love ya