Thursday, December 16, 2010

ice ice baby:)

Looks like I might be iced in for the morning. It didn't so much as snow last night, as it did just ICE. Our yard and street are one big sheet of ice. Jackson went out this morning and with every step his paws broke through the ice and he was so weirded out. and when he went to squat, his back legs started sliding out in opposite directions and it was soo funny. but he didn't think so, he was just confused.

UK canceled their finals before ten today. They put 'Plan B' into effect for their employees. EXCEPT health care employees. We still have to be there at the same time. Because if we aren't, someone from night shift has to stay late for you. It's hard when you have a 24 hour job that leaves no room for tardiness or being sick. If you aren't there, someone has to be there in your place. It creates a sense of team work in some ways. And in some way resentment at times when you are the one having to stay over or be called in :) But that's part of the job.

Yesterday at work I was assigned to triage. Triage is the area where patients who walk or drive themselves in come to. They sign in, you take them back, assess them and get their story, then determine where in the ER they need to go (based on their acuity). It can be stressful because a lot of times you don't have a room to put the patient in. We have a lot of 'frequent flyers' that come in. most the time they are homeless. and this is where I have problems. Because we know they are coming in from the cold. and they are hungry. and want a pair of socks. ideally they want to be taken to a room where they can lay down, eat and be warm for a while. And the biggest part of me wants to let them do it. But I understand, from a business standpoint, why that can't happen. And I understand why we are asked not to just hand out food and encourage them to come back for more. and last week I even spent a considerable amount of time trying to get one specific man to a home (it ended poorly but that is not something I can really talk about). It creates such a quandary for me. and it bothers me. and I come home and I think about it. head vs heart. So I am in the process of finding a way for me to deal with this, from a personal stand point. Because it's cold out. and noone deserves to sleep outside in this mess.

On a happier note: 9 days until Christmas! (or 8 for Budde Christmas!). I can't wait!
Happy Snow Day :)

No comments: