Sunday, December 5, 2010

Normalcy

The past two days Philip and I have gone to bed together and woken up together. I know this doesn't seem a big deal to most of you. But this is such a rarity in our lives. Philip's crazy residency schedule puts him working random hours of all times of the day and night. Our time together is so valuable to us right now because there just isn't as much of it as we would like. But this month he is on an easy rotation that has normal hours! He works Mon-Fri, 9-5. Like a normal person! Several times in the past few days he has made the comment " is this what normal couples get to do all the time?" Our sense of normalcy is skewed. But we don't know any different. not now at least.
Yesterday we went sledding with two of our good friends Matt and Michelle. We went to the hill at the front of my parent's neighborhood (the hill of death) where I always used to go in high school. My dad met us there on his 4wheeler and pulled us around on the inner tube. I didn't sled, but for good reason. I chipped my vertebrae on this hill in high school. So Matt and Philip built a ramp while Michelle and I hung out at the bottom. But it was so fun being out in the snow and hoping our husbands didn't break anything. Then we went back to my parents house where Mom had made us spiced tea and cookies. just like the old days in high school :)
That night Matt and Michelle had a Christmas party. We had a real 'family sit down' dinner and then played Dirty Santa. Which got interesting to say the least:) Then we started the fire and watched National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. a personal favorite. It was so fun to get to spend time with all of them and laugh so much.
the girls

the boys

This morning we were able to go to church together. Which is something we both really miss. I am typically able to go most Sundays (unless I am working), and Megan and Brian are gracious enough to always let me sit with them. But it so much better when we both get to go, together. And we get to worship, together. and we take communion, together. and then we get in the car and talk about Jon's sermon. and we usually always learn something new about each other. Today's sermon was on family, and it sparked such good conversation between the two of us. I am so grateful for the Sundays we are both off of work. Not to mention that when we are both able to go to church, our weeks are drastically different than the weeks we aren't able to go.
So here's to a good week. Crossing my fingers I don't get called into work today and can spend the day relaxing with my family. :) Hope you have all had a wonderful weekend as well!!!

No comments: