Saturday, December 11, 2010

Missions Accomplished

I am pleased to report that my two social events were a success!

Bookclub was so fun (as always). The soup was actually really good ( i made it in the crock pot) and we all got to eat around our new dining room table. It was the first meal had at it:) My roomie (well ex, but I still call her roomie) brought homemade chocolate chip cookies that were delicious for dessert. It was her first bookclub and after everyone left she said ' you all really don't talk about the book do you?'. ha, not really!!!

Yesterday my mom and dad came over early to help me finish getting ready. And thank goodness for them. They were both there to help me clean up the cider that boiled over on the stove (oops). and to assemble the goodie bags I made for each guest. My parents are just such wonderful people. I can't even begin to tell you.
To give you a glimpse, here was the menu from last night:
Vegetable tray shaped into a Christmas tree (pic below)
sausage balls
hot chile/cheese/beef dip
baked club sandwiches (the biggest hit, and SO easy!)
Harry and David dip with crackers
various sweets (including homemade fudge from my Grandma B-- thank you!)
hot cider (in the crock pot)
the veggie platter was my favorite.
peppermint cookies and mint oreos dipped in chocolate
you can't have a party without puppy chow

I think overall the night went very well. It is always hard merging 'groups' that don't really know each other that well. Luckily we had Bruce there to break the ice. Santa hat and all. and  my Aunt Ellen is so good at remembering people and things about them. it makes it so easy for people to talk to her. It made me so happy to have all of my family (well, the Lexington-based family) in our home. eating, sharing, laughing. it doesnt get much better than that.




















I think one of the funnier moments from last night was when I looked up and my Grandma Wilhoite had the book "Sh*t my Dad Says" in her hands pretending to read it. I looked at my Dad and he just shrugged his shoulders. hahahaha. if you know my grandma you know how funny this is. But she came. and for that I am proud of her and happy. She isn't getting around very well anymore.

Today is a day with no real plans for us. which is nice. One of my best friends, Bird, and his wife Shira are coming over this afternoon. They say it is so see us. But I know the real reason; Jackson. but thats ok. whatever gets him here:)

As I am writing I am drinking the last of my peppermint chocolate coffee, supplemented with left over puppy chow:) Philip is still sleeping and I am grateful he has the month of December to catch up on rest. and life. I think it will rejuvenate him for the rough month we have coming up in January. ahh residency. how happy I will be when you are over:)
jackson was exhausted from all the company!
Countdown to Christmas: 2 weeks from today!!!

No comments: