Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Scuba #1

Last night was our first scuba lesson. For those of you who don't know, i got Philip scuba diving lessons for Christmas. We did a dive in Mexico on our honeymoon and he loved it. So, here we are getting certified:) when we go to Hawaii in a few weeks, we will get open water certified.
Yesterday we spent a few hours studying the chapters we were were supposed to read for class and took our 'pre-tests'. Then we packed our scuba gear, bathing suits, towels and text book and headed to class!
my girly scuba gear
 Our instructor is really nice. there is another couple in class with us that were very nice and fun as well. So it's just the 4 of us, which is nice. We started out by going over the written material and taking a test. then we got fitted for our wet suits, BCD's ( vests that inflate/deflate with air to keep you floating or to help sink), air tanks and regulators. We packed our gear up and headed to the UK pool. which wasn't heated...
There we had to swim 8 laps to prove we know how to swim ok. then we had to tread water for 10 minutes. If I had known I was going to get that workout I wouldnt have gotten up to go to the gym yesterday morning!
So once we passed those tests, we got in our wet suits and put our scuba gear on. In the pool we had to practice several different 'scenarios'. going through the 'what to do if THIS happens' always gives me anxiety. but I guess it's better to be prepared for the worst. I have a problem of holding on to the regulator- where your air comes out of the tank. I like it to be firm in my mouth so I know I can breathe:) Philip wants me to work on letting go of it. I wasn't there yet last night:)
the regulator. my best friend.
 It was fun- but a long night. we didn't get home until midnight! We both passed out and slept in this morning. our next class is tomorrow night. Ill let you know how it goes!