Tuesday, March 29, 2011

~Aloha~

         Aloha! we are back from our wonderful trip to Waikiki, Hawaii! Stepping off that plane into freezing temperatures was not the welcome home we wanted from KY:) but we are so in love with our wildcats right now that we aren't that upset:)
*disclaimer: this post is going to be long. family and a few friends will probably care enough to read the whole thing. but I want to have a journal of our trip. you can skim the words and look at the pictures or see the pics I am about to put on facebook:)*


We flew out early monday morning (thank you Aunt Ellen for getting up and taking us!). with the time change we got into Hawaii around 2pm HI time (6 hours behind KY). the flights were uneventful, which is good for me since sometimes I get motion sick. we got checked in and went straight to the beach:) We watched the sunset on the beach and it was gorgeous. We ate at Cheeseburgers In Paradise and walked around the shops for a while before calling it a night.
another beautiful sunset
Tuesday was our first scuba dive. We signed up to dive Tuesday and Wednesday from 11-3, 2 dives each time. those 4 dives would get us our open water certification. I premedicated myself with a lot of antiemetic drugs to keep me from getting sea sick. the first dive was beautiful. we saw so many colorful fish and it was so relaxing and romantic being on the bottom of the ocean, just the two of us. we saw a few eels philip stayed behind to take pictures of. i quickly swam ahead and waited for him. eww. As we were ascending up the rope, the current was so strong and pulling me pretty hard. I made it the top and the waves were so choppy I was getting bounced around. I made it onto the boat before I started puking my guts up. that is exactly what I was afraid of happening. the captain told me to go on and do my second dive, I would feel better underwater. but I know me, and I knew that I would not feel better underwater. i would still be puking, just with a regulator in my mouth. nothankyou. so I had to sit on the edge of the boat while Philip did his second dive. going back wasn't an option (I asked). and it wasn't pretty. (it makes me nauseous just thinking about it right now). I made it back to land and it took me most the rest of the day to feel back to normal. so we talked about it and decided I would not be going back on Wednesday. as much as I wanted to get certified, and in Hawaii, it just wasn't worth it. I was very disappointed and frustrated, but there wasn't much I could do. I hope to get open water certified in the near future, somewhere with less waves or better yet- off the shore:)
 Wednesday morning Philip went back to dive again and I headed to the beach with my book. i so wanted to be diving with him, but laying on the beach in Hawaii isn't the worst way to pass time!
Thursday we rented a jeep and went out to see the rest of the island. the jeep was money well spent. Oahu is beautiful and I can't believe some people go there and don't get to see the full extent of its beauty. Our first stop was to hike Manoa Falls. the waterfall was around 100feet high, it was so pretty. the whole hike was just breathtaking.
 
From there were spent the rest of the day driving, stopping to look and take pictures, driving, getting ice cream, and driving. with the top down of course:) it was so much fun.
Friday we got up and went to the Punchbowl. It is a memorial for the Pacific Veterans. it was sombering. Philip loves history so he educated me as we walked the rows of graves.
 we went back to the beach and then got ready for our luau! there were several luaus to pick from, but I had been told my multiple people the luau at the Polynesian Center was the best. and it did not disappoint. I was so excited when we got lei'd with a colorful orchid lei. I had been wanting one all trip! They pulled the pig out of the ground and then we had a real Hawaiian feast of all kinds of food from Hawaii. During dinner we got to watch hula dancers and other forms of dancing. Then they brought out the desserts. we were so full when we left there, but it was soo good. We watched a show there before we left called Ha:Breath of Life. it was a story told through music and dance and was very good. we hopped in the jeep and drove the hour or so back to our hotel.
 
Saturday morning Philip dove his first adventure dive as a certified diver:) he dove a wrecked ship called the SeaTiger. he got lots of awesome pictures. all in all he saw two sharks, an octopus, and huge sea turtles. again, I was at the beach and a tad bit jealous:) he came back and we hung out at the beach and pool and then went out to dinner at a local thai restaurant. Philip said it was the best thai food he has had. planet thai is still #1 for me.

two sharks
Sunday was our last day there. We started the day by walking to Diamond Head ; a huge volcano crater. it was a nice view but it was so crowded there. at the bottom we got a shaved ice and devoured it before the trek back to our all hotel. total we walked around 6.5 miles that day. whoa. we needed the exercise though after the way we ate all week.
 We were going to surf that afternoon, but there were so many surfers out there. i wasn't sure I wanted to learn with them all watching me. and plus Philip injured his ear a little bit scuba diving and wasn't feeling the greatest. so we opted to lay in the sun and relax. This was the night  my sneaky husband gave me my anniversary present (a month early). he got me a Hawaiian plumeria pendant to wear on my necklace. I had been eyeing it on our walks around town at night. what a thoughtful husband. I love him so much. We went to LuLu's for our last dinner. and then again Monday morning for our last breakfast. we ate there 3 times on our trip and we can not tell you how delicious their food is. i am going to try to recreate one of their dishes involving hamburger, fried egg, rice and gravy. it was heaven on a plate.
view from LuLu's
Jackson got a vacation too- he stayed with my parents and was spoiled rotten I feel certain. Dad would take him for runs on the farm.while he rode the 4wheeler jackson chased deer and ran like crazy. Mom would take him for walks at night with Aunt Annie and Anna Jo. He has definitely trimmed up in his week at the farm! Maya got visits every other day and was craving attention. she is laying on my lap as I type this. we missed our critters and are glad to be home to love on and play with them.
This trip was so good for us. not just to get away from work and relax, but to be able to spend time together. Oahu was the most beautiful place either of us has ever been. traveling is something we want to do a lot of in the next few years and are excited about the adventures in our future. 
last pic in Hawaii- from our balcony:)
Aloha! thanks for reading!:)

4 comments:

Blissfully Burton said...

Your pics are great! Looks like a lot of framers! And a burger with a fried egg sounds delish to me! :) Glad you are back and hope to see you soon. So glad you two got some well-needed time together!

Jase said...

So glad you enjoyed! Happy for you both!

Alison said...

Sounds amazing! I am so glad you had a wonderful time and I can't wait to see your anniversary present!

Brenda said...

What a beautiful anniversary trip. Glad you enjoyed it. I know you were diassapointed about diving. Hope you will get your certification in less turbulent waters. Happy Anniversary!