Sunday, March 6, 2011

New Recipe

 My mom gave me a recipe for Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. So i decided last night I would make it for Philip and I. It was a nasty rainy day, and he had worked all day. I thought it would be a nice thing to do. I started by cooking and shredding the chicken and while the vegetables were sauteing, I went upstairs to put on pajamas. When I came back down, not even a minute later, Jackson had gotten two feet on the counter and eaten ALL THREE shredded chicken breasts. I was beyond pissed. i had to run to kroger to get a rotisserie chicken and shred it up. Moral of the story: cook your own chicken or get an already cooked chicken. both ways will work:)
ingredients:
1 tbs butter or margarine
1/3 cup finely chopped carrots
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
12 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast halves shredded or cut into pieces
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup better or margarine, softened
4 cups whipping bream or half and half
salt & pepper

1. In big pot, melt tbs butter over med heat. Add carrot, onion and celery; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Add broth and wild rice. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20-30 minutes. Add chicken. Simmer, covered for 20-25 more minutes or until rice is tender.
2. In a small bowl, combine flour and 1/4 cup softened butter to make a paste. Stir flour mixture into rice mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir one more minute. Add half and half. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
*makes 8 servings. 314 calories/serving.

It was sooo yummy. I will definitely be making it again!

3 comments:

Kari said...

Ohhhhhhhh girl! He'll be loving this when he tries it! Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe! :)

Unknown said...

What a smart idea to go to Kroger for more chicken!!!

amanda said...

kari- let me know if he likes it!
Mom- thank goodness you are so smart:)