Saturday, March 31, 2012

bonjour/ciao/guten tag

When I was younger I used to watch  movies filmed in Paris and think " I want to go there". The city seems so alive. and romantic. So I put it on my mental 'to do someday' list. And a week from tomorrow- we will be there! I feel so old checking things off my 'someday' list. but I am going to be 30 this year...yikes!
*thank you to all who messaged me and commented on things to do /not do while we are there. I really appreciate all the input!*

I know, some of you are thinking ' didn't you just go on vacation??'. well, yes we did. While our Europe trip has been planned for months, Bonaire was sort of last minute when I found out I got a week vacation in February. And it was a trip Philip has been dying to take. we both realize that trips like these won't happen once babies come along. and we are also very fortunate Philip's job allows him to moonlight and pay for these trips. We realize how lucky and blessed we are. 

So anyway- next Sunday we fly out (easter sunday, not so ideal, but we are going to be able to have easter brunch with the fam before we leave). The flight to Paris is about 8 hours (not as long as Hawaii thank goodness. I have restocked my meds and patches for nausea.) We will get to Paris around noon (paris time). We stay there for 4 days, then take the train to Zermatt Switzerland. 3 days later, we take another train to Venice Italy. 

Paris seems to be the most challenging city to 'fit it all in'. There are so many things to see there. So the other day we sat down and decided on things we each really wanted to see/do. While this will come as a huge shock to my family- we don't have an agenda really. I want to have time to picnic in front of the Eiffel Tower. To roam the cobblestone streets at night. to walk in the rain and dry off in a cafe. I am most excited to go here.

We keep going back and forth about skiing in Zermatt. Right now it is 30 degrees there. that is really cold. and requires a lot of extra clothes to stay warm. I am running out of suitcase space! I dont think we can go wrong in Zermatt- the pictures look beautiful (and if you watched the Bachelor this is where Ben proposed to Courtney). I think it will be a nice change from the busyness of Paris. I know I am excited about the chocolate there! Philip's grandparents have been to Switzerland a lot. Philip has gone with them and loved it. it seems like an 'outdoorsy' place, which fits us both. 

Venice poses a challenge for me: traveling on water. I envision myself puking off the side of a gondola! (except people have told us this really isn't that great, and too expensive. so I dont think we will be taking a ride in the old gondola) This city is somewhat of a question mark for me. I have no idea what to expect.The churches and museums there are beautiful in pictures.

There is always a certain level of anxiety for me when we travel. I always worry about something bad happening when are gone. Especially with Grandma being sick right now, it's hard to go so far away. but we should have wi-fi at our hotels and able to keep in touch/face time. that way we can also say hi to Jackson:) 

au revoir :)
(think I can pull this off in my KY accent? Philip laughs at me when I try! )


3 comments:

Blissfully Burton said...

excited to hear about it!

L.B. said...

So excited for you!! ENJOY!!

Whitney said...

This sounds amazing! I hope you have a wonderful time!