Sunday, March 4, 2012

Tornado Update

When I was writing my last post I really had no idea the devastation that had occurred for so many in West Liberty KY, London and other counties.
Philip was working a shift in Morehead that night. Which is the neighboring county to Morgan County, where the worst of the tornado damage was. Looking back we know God put him there to be there that night.
 the victims went to St Claire's ER. Philip said it was unimaginable. Ambulances were showing up with 6 people in them. A man with a femur fracture, instead of coming in strapped to a back board, rode up front with the ambulance driver. He told Philip ' they didn't have any room for me in the back'. The ER doctors that work there came in, unasked, to help out. It was mass casualty, just like you learn how to do in the healthcare field. but you never expect to really have to do it. 

They were tagging people based on the mass casualty criteria: green if you can walk, yellow if you require attention but not immediately, red if you require immediate attention, and black if the attention you require is too much given the amount of victims. They opened a family medicine clinic where all the greens went to be treated there. the ER was reserved for yellows and reds. Philip said the organization and effort from Morehead was incredible. He is so proud to be associated with a community and hospital that took care of people the way that they did. The CEO of St Claire was down there asking what they needed and getting it done. They all stayed well after their shifts to take care of people and help in any way they could (which left me home alone wishing he was here, but so proud of him for being there).

I am on the SORT committee at work, and was called in to respond to the code yellow (mass casualty) that was called at UK. As I frequently do, I had fallen asleep on the couch and woke up to several missed calls, voicemails and texts. Freaking out, i called work where I was told there were more than enough resources there and to sleep since I was coming in the next day. I feel terribly guilty for not being there.  And even more guilty when I got to work Saturday and so many of my coworkers were working off of little sleep after having been there all night to help. I work with some amazing people.

A picture could never really portray the heart ache and emotions that West Liberty is going through. but the pictures you can see online are devastating. A whole town- completely gone.

Saturday morning I woke up thinking if only the tornado had taken a different path, we could have been the ones waking up to the destruction that West Liberty was waking up to. and I feel guilty for thanking God for protecting me, my friends, and my family. because I didn't deserve it. and yes, I am so so very thankful. but it doesnt seem right that we were spared the heartache while others weren't. (I still haven't sorted through these thoughts yet).

Psalm 46:1-3
God is our refuge and strength,
      always ready to help in times of trouble.
 2 So we will not fear when earthquakes come
      and the mountains crumble into the sea.
 3 Let the oceans roar and foam.
      Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge.


2 comments:

Blissfully Burton said...

Have you read about the infant who was found 10 miles from her home totally unharmed and her parents/siblings were found dead? I can't get that out of my head. It keeps haunting me since I read about it Saturday afternoon. Just terrible. :(

amanda said...

yes i read about that... I can't even imagine :(