Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Worry Wart

I have sometimes been accused of worrying. ok, a lot of times. and for me its more of a anxiousness rather than a consuming thought process. But I tend to worry/be anxious, a lot. Well, my wonderful preacher Jon preached a sermon straight to me on Sunday. So I thought I would share (see the whole sermon series here).


Jon talked about how every day, you can choose to live a life of certainty or uncertainty. You can choose to be consumed about things that you have no control over: health, money, family. or you can choose to be consumed with His Word. that tells us not to worry (Matthew 6) and he said when you choose to be on the uncertain side, you are struggling to control these things that you just can't. and it leads to more anxiety and more stress (it was one of those moments I wanted to look around to see if he was literally talking to me).
He listed many reasons why not to worry. Saying that worrying gives a small thing a big shadow. which I do all the time. I take something that doesn't really matter, and let it's shadow cover everything else. Another point was that worrying is unproductive. and I love productivity. but he's right. taking up my thoughts and time worrying gets nothing accomplished.
The last two points he made, made me really think. he said that worrying is unchristian. that you can't say ' I love the Lord and I trust the Lord' and then worry all the time. that it's either one, or the other. and most of my life I have done both.
Then he made the statement that "worry is practical atheism". whoa. but it makes sense. 1 Peter 5:7 says to "cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you". And going back to Matthew where He says ' do not worry". it puts a new light on worrying for me.
He then talked about Proverbs 12:25 where it says 'anxiety weighs down the heart'. and that you should take that weight, and just let it go. and i thought to myself  "well, ok".simple enough. well, not really in action. but the idea is simple enough.
For those who know me well, you know that there are times I can't sleep because I am worrying (especially for those who dealt with me in my dating days-- talk about anxiety and worrying!) After the sermon I have been thinking about what Jon said, and what the Bible says, and I am really trying to focus more on the certain. Because God has never given me a reason to doubt Him. or to question whether or not He is speaking the truth. in fact, He has gone so far in the opposite direction, that I am ashamed of my lack of faith and trust.
So I am trying to let God do what He wants to do, and take care of me. And I don't know why this is so difficult for me, I like to be taken care of:)

1 comment:

Blissfully Burton said...

first- the picture GROSSES me out!
But after I got over that I like the post! Thanks for sharing! I loved the sermon, too and felt like he was talking directly to me! I sat down to write a post about it, but just couldn't make it through! So thank you for writing yours! :)