Monday, August 24, 2015

Welcome to the world Parker

Our sweet baby boy has made his grand entrance and we are so in love. 

I never really told Ainsley's birth story - but it was a long process that kept lots of family just hanging out waiting all day long. This time around could not have been more opposite. 

We checked in to the hospital Friday morning (5am) to start the induction. Mom spent the night so she could take care of A and be close by. They got my IV in and the Pitocin started by 6am. I was having contractions but they were manageable (I can say that now looking back because I had no idea how bad it was about to get). Philip asked the nurse several times about when was a good time to get my epidural and she said to wait until my OB rounded. Mistake #1. I should have just said lets go on and get it please. 
Anyway- Dr Greene came around about 845 and broke my water. Almost immediately, I started having intense intense contractions. They took me by such surprise that I was crying and then apologizing to the nurse for the tears. Well they were right on top of each other with no break in between. And they couldn't give me epidural bc I hadn't gotten a liter of IV fluid yet. So my sweet husband is squeezing the fluid into my iv trying to speed things along while I was just praying that I don't die. The nurse offered me a drug called Stadol- aka poison. I got it (mistake # 2) and while it took the edge off I could still feel contractions. I could not, however, stay awake during contractions. It knocked me out in a serious way. Like I don't even remember getting my epidural. P said they had to hold me up and keep waking me up. And of course it made me sick so I was dry heaving as well. 

Anyway- I got the epidural and was napping when all of a sudden I snapped up bc I swore the epidural had come out. The awful intensity and pressure was back. The nurse called the anesthesiologist and he came back in trying to give some more meds to take the pain away. She checked me and quickly said I was fully dilated and she was calling my doctor. I was telling myself "ok come out of this fog you have to push this baby out."  People were rushing in and getting set up and I'm just trying to keep my eyes open. 

Dr Greene shows up, comments I went much faster than he thought I would, and says to push through the pain. So I pushed through 4-5 contractions and he was out! So fast! 

Parker Henry was born at 10:54am weighing in at 8 pounds 3 ounces and 20 inches long. He came out pissed (which we had predicted). He continued to cry for the next two hours of his life until he got something to eat then he went to sleep. Philip got to cut the cord this time:) 

We asked the pediatrician and OB if we could go on home Saturday afternoon and they both said they were fine with that (as long as Parker could keep his temperature up, he was having trouble regulating it but then did fine). 

We were home by 4pm Saturday afternoon and driving home I was thinking "what just happened?!". The delivery happened so fast then we got to go home earlier than normal - i hadn't really processed everything. Last time, we checked in at 9pm thursday night, labored until 6:31 pm on Friday night, and didn't go home until Sunday afternoon. This time we were there less than 36 hours and labor was less than 6 hours. But,  I did know I wanted to get home and see Ainsley and spend time with both of my babies. 

Now we are settling in and loving being a family of 4. Ainsley has been so so sweet to him. She "pets him" and covers him up in blankets. She makes sure he has animals and when he cries she tries to bring him things to make him feel better. She has asked us "can you hold me" a lot more than she ever used to but of course we welcome the chance to cuddle her. 

Thank you so much to our family and friends who have already spoiled sweet Parker with love and gifts. and ainsley has racked up some fun gifts as well, which she loved very much:) We are enjoying Philip being off work and just spending time together. Looking forward to our lives with Parker and all the joy he is bringing into our home:) 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Parker is precious!