Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Road Trip

Ill be the first to admit, I am not very spontaneous. I like things planned and in my agenda.
that being said- I am so glad we went on this spur of the moment trip.
We got up early Tuesday morning and started our journey:) I knew it was going to be a good trip when we stopped for breakfast and I got to try Hardee's new fried bologna biscuit. DELICIOUS. a must for those who love bologna, as i do. we spent the rest of the ride talking about random stuff. one of them being what I was going to name my new car. Since I am incapable of doing anything other than stare ahead when in a car (motion sickness), Philip looked up names and read them to me. We both decided Vito was the winner:) Vito the Volvo. We also talked about how blessed we are at this point in our lives. We are so thankful for all God has and is doing in our lives. We are so excited about upcoming changes for us and are praying that God will use us in big ways.
So, 8 hours later, we are pulling into the Charleston Volvo dealership. We see Vito and i am so excited. We take him for a drive, test out all his features, and decide that yes, this was the car we wanted. So the 3 hour process began. Because we had no idea buying out of state would be such a hassle. and you know what else i had no idea about? how sad I would be to sell my car. I named him Babe the Blue Ox. from the story of Paul Bunyan.
similar color, right?
So as we were signing our lives away, I told the salesman " my car's name is Babe. like the blue ox. from paul bunyan". he sort of looked at me and smiled. I should have stopped talking. but i said "could you please make sure he is taken care of?". he politely said 'of course'.

like i said, 3 hours later, we are driving away Vito and saying goodbye to Babe.
After the grueling car buying process, we were starving! well that, and we had skipped lunch.
From some recommendations from a friend, I had already chosen our restaurant for dinner. I picked Magnolia's and what a good choice that was! they had the best fried green tomatoes. and the best creme brulee (which I am becoming a connoisseur for). Philip said their crab cake was also amazing, but I wouldn't personally know about that.
I let Philip pick the place we were going to stay that night. Which at first I thought was a mistake (his taste is a little more extravagant than mine). but it ended up I was so happy i let him be in charge of this. We only stayed there for one night, so why not stay somewhere fun?! He chose Vendue Inn, a little Bed&Breakfast downtown. It was so charming. They served a yummy breakfast in the morning (this mornings special was pumpkin french toast-yuumm). They set out milk and cookies at 9:00 every night. and they turned down our bed for us while we were out walking around town. The building and rooms were so old and it was such a fun and different atmosphere.
entrance to our room
Add caption
Charleston chews on the pillow:)
After dinner we walked around downtown. I have never been to Charleston before, and i was shocked at how quiet it was there! I dont know if it was the incoming hurricane, or that it was a Tuesday night. but it was just so peaceful. We walked down the pier and looked over the ocean, then walked down the cobblestone streets looking at the historical houses. We stopped in a brewery where Philip tried a local rye beer. It was honestly the worst thing I have ever tasted. I can't believe he finished it. But he loves trying different beers.
on the pier




We slept in this morning, ate our scrumptious breakfast, and started our journey back home. the trip home seemed much shorter than the trip down there. which usually it is opposite. I guess it could be the fact that on the way down there, there were random rattling noises, loud wind and not the most comfortable seats. The ride back was absolutely quiet in the car. no rattles, no shakes, no wind through the windows. in super comfortable seats. with lots of new gadgets and remotes to play with :)
So what a wonderful and relaxing two days that we had:) Someone else had a good two days as well.
passed out after spending two days on the farm with grandpa :)


Philip's mom sent us this text on the way home, and I thought it was so funny.


2 comments:

Blissfully Burton said...

So fun! I love that you all got some time together and yay for a super nice new car.
Had no idea you'd never been to Charleston? You must go back for longer! It is my fav. place.

L.B. said...

sounds very fun relaxing and adventureful...great times. Welcome Vito!