Friday, July 22, 2011

Stew

Sunday's sermon was a good one. Good enough I took notes:) so many things he said have been bouncing around in my head all week. So I thought I would recap- for those of you who didn't get to enjoy southland last weekend. *disclaimer-- I am paraphrasing the sermon by Mike Breau.

The sermon series is about reality shows. it's called unreality. last week was titled ' the biggest loser'. It was about appetites. and how they were created by God, but distorted by sin. How, with an appetite, you are always wanting more. the desire is never fully satisfied. and we live our lives thinking that 'one day, we will find something that will make us say 'ahh- that was enough''. but why do we do that? why can't we just be content in the Lord and what He has given us? im so guilty of this.

He also told us that instant gratification is a terrible life coach. Genesis 25 tells the story of Jacob and Esau. Esau was the 'manly brother' who went out and hunted & fished all day.While Jacob stayed in and took care of household things. Esau was the oldest, therefore entitled to the family's birthright. supposedly a huge deal. the biggest back in that age. So Esau came in from hunting one day, and Jacob was making stew. he wanted some stew from his brother. Jacob told him he would give him some, if he gave up his birthright to him. Apparently Esau was a bit dramatic, stating ' I am about to die, what good is my birthright?'. and gave it to Jacob. for a cup of stew. WORST TRADE EVER. but he did it. and while we are thinking ' that is the dumbest thing anyone could ever do', we would do it. we do do it. if it was the right bowl of stew. there is a 'stew' for each of us, that would cause us to trade our heavenly treasures for earthly things. I know I have a few stews I love. a lot.
Mike suggested that we learn how to manage our appetite. which is hard- you always want just a little more. the extra brownie or piece or piece of pie. but you need to learn how, because you will never 'feel' satisfied.
He also told us that we need to paint a picture of our lives. of the kind of person you want to be. the kind of life you want to live. to make a list that it headed ' 10 years from now, I want my life to look like...'. and say what kind of friend/parent/spouse you want to be. what you want people to say about you. what kind of legacy you want to leave behind. because when you are tempted, that picture in your head will help guide you to suppress that appetite. to help you stay on path to maintain that picture --Galatians 5:16--

I am currently working on my list. Mike said it has helped him a lot over the years. it will definitely put life in perspective. and help me maybe not be tempted to give it all away for that bowl of stew.

1 comment:

Blissfully Burton said...

Hope you post your list. I want to make a list, too! :)

Megan