Friday, July 1, 2011

July FIRST

ahhh July first. the love/hate relationship I have come to have with this day...
July 1 is when residents all over the country start their residency. or when they are officially the next year (1st years become 2nd, 2nd become 3rd, so on). So today marks the first day of Philip's last year of residency. wahoo!!!!! 364 more days to go! :)
However, it also marks the day that the hospital is in a bit of chaos. Because it isn't just ER interns that start today. it is ALL interns. surgery,orthopedics,pediactrics,medicine,cardiology. all of them. newbies. no clue what they are doing. having an older resident hold their hands and walk them through it. asking nurses 'where is room 61' or 'what do i use this for?'.

and i will be honest, I am not a good teacher. I don't have patience to explain things to people or help them understand. I am working on this, as I am currently precepting new graduate nurses. but I can only work on so much. for now it's teaching nurses. sorry docs. So to help myself out with this situation, i ALWAYS request off July 1. I just avoid it at all cost. and it's easy for me to request if off because I say ' My mom's birthday is that day and I can't work'. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!!:) problem solved.
or so I thought. Because really, July 1 isn't the problem anymore. there are so many extra residents around on that day to help the babies out, that it goes ok. It's July 2,3,4.... when they don't have their hands being held anymore. those are the bad days. Unlucky for me, I work the 3 AND the 4. and I am charge on July 4. with all the firework, boating, drunk traumas coming in. man oh man- it's not good to be me this weekend :)

However, let's focus on why I am loving this day. July for us means that Philip is officially a 3rd year and officially chief resident. We are praying this year is a little less chaotic for him. We are also praying for where he is going to take a position as attending when his residency is finished (your prayers welcome too). So, hooray for 2 years down and one more to go. His residency has been harder than either of us thought it would be. But in the end it will be worth it.
picture before his first night of residency ever. 7/1/09

Reason #2 I love this day so much... HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! Since i have made sure I am off on this day, I am taking the day to spend with Mom in Georgetown. Floating in her pool and then having a big Wilhoite family dinner:) Jackson gets to come too and spend the day on the farm playing with Grandpa:)
Happy weekend everyone ! please be careful this holiday so I don't have to take care of you :)

3 comments:

Blissfully Burton said...

Yay for Philip! Happy that your life is going to hopefully slow down a bit now!

L.B. said...

My sister is right on facebook about getting thorugh residency...she was so strong form it I was amazed. It is funny to see a nurse POV. have fun!

Erin said...

Loved this post! Wish I had known about the changes in July when I had my surgery at IU on July 3 in '08. I had an intern take out my drain tube (his first time) and he didn't know how to adjust the bed up to him since he was so tall. Mom had to suggest it & show him how ;) Happy Birthday to your Mom!