Monday, December 30, 2013

MudBowl 2013

Our family has an annual tradition to play football in my Grandma's front yard. This was the 21st (XXI) year for our game. We used to play the weekend after Thanksgiving, but have started playing the weekend after Christmas when our cousins Tiffany and Johnny are in from GA. It used to always be rainy and muddy when we played. Now it is usually snowy and cold:) This year the weather was actually really nice! 
Crystal was a good sport and played, even though she doesn't really want to:) Mike Petty always brings his older girls. Emily and Whitney come if they can (both missed out this year). Auntie Jo changes the sign every year to the correct roman numerals. She also makes all of us lunch after the game. Aunt Annie and Mom are the official cheerleaders. Also joining the cheerleading squad this year was Ainsley, Emma, Reagan, Riley, Tyndall, Makayla, and my Dad. Rachel and Uncle Rick were the official photographers. April even played for a bit. Philip was sleeping and sadly missed out. 

Everyone always complains after the game about how out of shape they are. about how they 'aren't playing next year'. blah blah. the tradition will continue! The only casualty of the game was mine. Joey's hand accidentally to my face as we both went for the ball. 
Luckily it was only a bruise and no bleeding or breaking! :) 

At the end of the game, everyone votes for the player with the 'best sportsmanship'. it used to be MVP but now we vote for this. Everyone signs the ball and the winner gets to take it home. I have won once a few years ago, and my football is proudly displayed on our mantel. As is Johnny's from last year. and as Matt's should be after this year. 
I was sort of hoping i would get the sympathy vote for my injury, but it didn't happen. cold hearted people! 

Anyway, the grey team (me, Mike, Matt, Jessie, Johnny and Adeline ) won. by two touchdowns! go team wilhoite!! :) 

Here are some pics from our fun day. I love my family so much. 
 
look at that serious action form Crystal and me 


No comments: