Thursday, December 5, 2013

Eyes and Lights

Usually at 8am I am wearing my glasses and having my daughter climb in my lap trying to pull them off my face laughing at her fun little 'game'. 
However, today I wear no glasses. and the best part: my vision is 20/15!! (emily this is better than 20/20 haha) 
Saturday morning I got my Christmas present early and had LASIK done. I was nervous, but they were so great there. They talked me through every little thing. The operating suite was in a glassed area so you got to watch the procedures done before you, to know what to expect. They give you a little Valium, more to help you sleep after than to help you through it. The pressure on my eyes was the worst part but he counted down the seconds for me and gave me some foam balls to squeeze, and i made good use of them:) even when my vision went black for 10 seconds in each eye, i didn't freak out! Philip reminded me "even if they screw up, it will only be one eye, we won't let them do the other one". it made me feel better. 
the whole procedure probably took 5 minutes and then I was instructed to keep my eyes closed for at least 4 hours, aka GO NAP. you don't have to tell me twice;) 
Philip brought me home and took fab care of me, as always. the first hour I was so uncomfortable I couldn't sleep and was questioning my decision. but once I finally fell asleep, I woke up feeling 10 times better and could see! my vision was blurry and I had glare the first day, but I was prepared for that. We got take-out and watched a movie that night while I put my eyes drops in and let my wonderful husband baby me:) 

At my follow up appointment on monday i was told I had 20/15 vision which was the best he had seen that day! :) He also said my eyes were more dry than he wanted, so he put a bit of collagen in each of my tear ducts. it will dissolve on its own before I go back for my next appt on thursday. I have some redness in my eye vessels, which he compared to 'hickeys' from the suction that was used to create the flap during surgery. they will heal like a bruise heals and hopefully gone in a few weeks. the kicker: no eye make up for a week! so not only do I look scary but I can't try to fix it haha:) people at work said I looked like I had been smoking something. 

The best part for me is opening my eyes first thing in the morning and being able to see. Not having to fumble for my glasses to look at the monitor or see across the room. the second best part is not having to peel my contacts out of my eyes at the end of the night before bed. it is just so nice! I happily threw my contact cases in the trash and my glasses are going in Ainsley's stocking lol. of course if she isallowed to play with them she won't want to anymore :)
So heres to better than perfect vision for my favorite time of year! 
lighting of the christmas tree downtown

dad and philip put our lights up while I was sleeping off the Valium 
GG made A a 'first Christmas' stocking' 
opening the christmas box- the torch has been passed to her. Matt and Rachel don't get a box this year. Matt was NOT happy about it. 

No comments: