Thursday, July 28, 2016

Road America

Last week we loaded up the truck (and trailer) and headed to Wisconsin! There is a race track there called Road America that is on Philip's bucket list of tracks. So we started off on our 9 hour trek. We were amazed at how well the drive went. Parker napped on his usual schedule and we were shocked to look back and see Ainsley asleep with him. she never sleeps in the car! 
we drove 5 hours the first day and stayed just outside of Chicago. The kids were so happy to be out of the car. and that we let them play with things they normally aren't allowed to. 
The next day we only had about 3 hours left to drive so we had lots of time to check out the resort before our room was ready. It was a very nice place- I would love to go back! 
The next day kim and I plus kids met Philip and Ryan at the track to cheer Daddy on and hang out. The kids loved the trailer and I must *begrudgingly* admit that it was a very nice addition. 
The second session of the first day, me, Kim and the kids were watching Philip drive with Ryan riding. We headed back to the trailer when the kids got hungry. After a bit we noticed that no cars had been around the track in awhile. and come to think of it, they guys should have been back by now. So I went out and asked the guys set up next to us if they knew of anything going on on track. They told me there had been an announcement for "no passing on turn 10" which was a turn on the opposite side of where we were. He told me to find someone with a radio/headset to ask if there had been a wreck. So I chased someone down and she told me someones motor had blown up. I ran back, told Kim, but we didn't really know what that meant. I went back out just to see a tow truck pulling Philip's car. I literally almost puked. I grabbed the closest person to me and told them that was my husbands car and I needed to find my husband. he sort of looked at me like I was crazy and pointed to the cab of the tow truck. where philip and ryan were sitting. I wanted to smack and hug him all at once. I was shaking all over and it took me over an hour to calm down. Turns out his engine blew and part of his car caught fire. His car was done for and he wouldn't get to race anymore that weekend. He was upset and I was really bummed for him. 
He took some time to be sad but then decided to make the best of the awesome resort and beautiful weather. We walked to a cafe called "Off the Rail" that had amazing breakfast by the train tracks. We spent the next two mornings at the lake and everyone had so much fun. There was a beach cafe that we ate lunch at. And when it rained for a few hours we all went to the indoor pool and whirlpool. We walked around the quaint little town and stopped at a concert where Ainsley and Jack (and Barbie) danced and danced. 
ainsley eating her apple in the water. parker on his blanket. 
my little cuddle worm
Ainsley and Jack had such a good time playing in the lake. They built sand castles, buried their feet, picked up beetles, and ran amuck. We also visited the pools there (two outdoor and one indoor) but I don't have pictures of us there. Parker is taking after his Uncle Bubby and Aunt Rachel- he did NOT like the sand. He would step on it then pick his foot up and look at us like 'gross'. 

At night we threw all the kids in a big bath tub and Philip scrubbed them down. Ainsley got a king sized bed all to herself and LOVED it. (we are now in the process of turning her bed into a full sized real bed- I can't handle it). 
Sunday Philip booked massages for Kim and I at the resorts' spa. It was wonderful and very relaxing. and since the kids were still napping when we were done- we got to go lay at the pool kid free for a little bit! 

The nine hour drive home on Monday was a long day- but the kids did great. We made it home in right at 9 hours. Philips car is at the car hospital and we are hoping it might be an easy fix. 

The weekend didn't go quite as planned, and while Philip is pretty bummed he didn't get to race his car more- at least we enjoyed a fun family vacation with great friends. 

No comments: