Sunday, February 2, 2014

First Birthday Party

I had always said I wasn't going to do a big birthday party when I had kids. 
That the party was more for the parents than for the actual birthday baby. 
But once we sat down and made a list of my family, philip's family, and our best friends, there was no avoiding a large number of people. We have too many people we love and who love Ainsley.
Since Ainsley came into this world in a snowy wonderland, I decided to have the theme for her party be a 'Winter OneDerland'. 
her birthday outfit that I barely got any pics of her in it! 
something else i never realized until I had a child, was how precious nap time is. and how missing a nap can ruin a whole day (for us at least). so I decided to avoid nap time completely and have a birthday breakfast:) 
and yes maybe a lot of her party was for philip and I. but more than anything, we just wanted a day to be about our daughter and celebrating her life. with the people who love her. 
I think we succeeded! 
her invitation 
The forecast was predicting for freezing rain all week, but luckily the day was beautiful! the sun was out and there was no rain or snow in sight:) 
We decided to have the party at the Hartland Clubhouse. This decision was made way before we decided to buy a house and move. It worked out perfectly though. The pressure of having it at our house was taken off (especially since our house is not put together yet!) 
We started her day off by taking balloons in her room and singing to her as we came up the steps. she was a little confused :) 
philip hadn't put on his shirt yet:) we were too excited 
here are pictures of the party set up and the food: 
homemade hot cocoa favors:) 
doughnut hole kabobs and fruit platter
doughnuts and sausage balls 
snowflake water, OJ, milk boxes and juice boxes
snowflake cookies
mini cupcakes
Ainsley's smash cake 
frame of her monthly 'onesie' pics. thanks aunt rachel! 
Philip came home one day with a present for Ainsley that she 'had to have'. He said it was her housewarming present. But i decided it should be her first birthday present. I was skeptical at first but her present was the hit of the party. a roller coaster!!! 

Philip has been so excited for Ainsley to eat her smash cake. He really wanted her to pick the whole thing up and just tear into it. But she is a lady, and ate it pretty daintily :) 
*picture overload coming up*
a little scared of the candle and everyone singing 
sharing with daddy 
what was left:) 
Opening presents was pretty amazing. to see the fun and thoughtful gifts everyone picked out for her was so sweet. I didn't have expectations of her helping open presents, so when she wanted down and to play, I was fine with that:) I had to open the presents quicker than I would have liked, but a baby's attention span is not very long:) 
Overall, I think the party went really well! and if it didn't, at least I felt like it did haha:) I wasn't stressed out about it and felt like Ainsley had such a good time. 
A huge thank you to my mom and family for bringing food, helping us set up, and decorate. And a huge thank you to mine and Philip's friends who stayed and helped clean afterwards! 
Ainsley shares her birthday with Auntie Jo, and that night we went to Mi Casita to celebrate her! (well my family always goes to Mi Casita on Saturday nights). They brought out the sombrero and ice cream for both AJ's:) 
hand in ice cream 
Ainsley also had shrimp for dinner and (sadly) liked it. Her Daddy is so happy, I however am not ecstatic. :) 
Happy Happy Birthday to our sweet Ainsley! We hope we made you feel extra special on your special day. Birthdays are a big deal in this family, and I hope your first one was spectacular:)  

1 comment:

Donielle Wood said...

It was a perfect day =) and a perfect party!!!! Good joooob good job Brain!!!