Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Michigan

Baby down for a nap. Baby food steaming. laundry in the dryer. 
this equals bloggy time :)

Our month of traveling is sadly over. We got back last night from our trip to Michigan. Philip's sweet grandparents celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary and we had to be there to celebrate. 
We drove up on thursday and left monday morning. 
We had such a good time, as usual, with his Michigan family. They are all just so fun and so welcoming. 
We stayed with his grandparents at their house on Sherman Lake. It is so beautiful there. Thursday night people were trickling in so we ordered pizza and hung out. 
Friday we drove to the lake where Philip used to run up and down the sand dunes there. So him and Taylor raced, to which she pointed out that in ten years she will take her turn at beating him:) The water was freezing. but the beach was gorgeous. the sand fleas (or whatever those things were) were in full effect so we hung out close to the water:) That night they grilled out elk burgers, and I actually loved it! the meat was so lean and non greasy. My dad will be so proud:) 

Saturday Philip, Papa, and Uncle Curtis went to a car museum while Grandma, Melody, Ainsley and I hung out. Then Joy, Carol, Courtney and I went to get pedicures for the party that night:) Philip and Brian fished off the dock by the house. 
Philip won in quantity but Brian won in quality
The party was a success! the food was delicious and the tables were set up in a square so we could see all the family members, not just those you were sitting next to. It was a lovely way to celebrate a lovely couple. 

* I got one pic from the big night (see below). I was mad at myself and then remembered we have an almost 7 month old we were trying to get ready, feed dinner and keep happy throughout the 4 course meal:) hoping Joy and Danielle will send me some of their pics! *
tired girl
Sunday we went to Ted and Carol's and had so much fun. They made a big breakfast for everyone and then we played in the pool. We all went one direction around and made a 'whirlpool' which brought back fond memories for me. My cousins and I used to do this in my Grandma's pool. Then you 'REVERSE!' and try to walk against the current. it is so funny. 
While Ainsley napped we played Bocce Ball. 

That night his grandma made the traditional family ham loaf, which I had never had (but heard so much about) and fell in love with. I can't wait to try my hand at making it here! 

We were sad to leave. Philip and I truly enjoyed spending time up there. It was so special to have Ainsley get to spend time with family she doesn't get to see often. and to see Papa crawl on the floor over to her and play with her. and to have her cousins (both big and little) play with her.
 It means so much to us when people love our baby. 
morning play time with papa
yes she has her paci a lot. it was a rough week for her!! :)
The drive back was not Ainsley's finest hours, but who can blame her. Philip and I were over being in the car too and we weren't strapped into a car seat! 
how she rides/plays in the car
Philip and I were both so bummed last night talking about him going back to work. We have loved being a family of 3 that has done everything together the past few weeks. Philip and I have gotten closer and he has gotten to know Ainsley so much better by being able to just be around her and her daily activities. And I have loved having him there, not just to help me with her, but to enjoy her with me. and for me to enjoy him. 
We are so thankful that he works so hard for our family, but miss him a lot when he's not here. 

Looking forward to our next trip to Michigan, when hopefully the mosquitos won't love us as much and there will be lemon dessert every night of the week ;) 

No comments: