Sunday, August 18, 2013

Marathon Beach Trip

You never know what to expect on your baby's first trip to the beach (and her first airplane ride). 
But let me just tell you, Ainsley was a total rock star. 
Last week we went to Marathon, FL for a week vacation. We asked my parents if they would come because we knew having two extra sets of hands with a six month old would be needed! They happily obliged:) 
Ainsley did good on her first flights (it was direct from lex to ftlauderdale thank goodness). Everyone was so complimentary about her! Luckily, we sat in front of the same sweet couple on both flights (down and then back) so when Ainsley's ear bothered her landing in Lexington they were so helpful and nice :) other than that she did great! And even got a pair of wings from the flight attendant for her first flight:) 

We had to drive about 3 hours from the Ft Lauderdale airport to Marathon, which put us to our resort around 1am Monday night. Philip and my dad had their first dive Tuesday morning at 730am. Yikes that was early for them:) My dad completed his open water certification though! And the last 2 dives the 3 of us were able to dive together and enjoy the beautiful reefs and ocean. I loved being able to share that with my dad, and I know he enjoyed it too. Diving is something that Philip and I love doing together.
my favorite fish- trunk fish!

I was so nervous about diving because of my motion sickness. I know how sick I can get and I know how it can ruin the day for me (flashback to Hawaii). I am happy to report that the patches and meds got me through 4 dives with no sickness! (Dad did 6 and Philip did 8).The current was so awful on the first dive that I was about to throw the towel in. Philip and I were swimming hard for what seemed like forever and kept getting farther and farther from the boat. Finally we just had to surface and let the boat come to us. but boy were we tired (philip much more so than me, he dragged me at surface for a while). The last day Philip went by himself because Dad's ear was bothering him and I opted to just hang out on the beach. I am so glad I didn't go. There were 5-6 foot waves, Philip said everyone but him and the captain were puking, visibility was awful and the current rough. and P got stung by a jelly fish multiple times. he said it was a good experience for him but not a great dive. 

Above water was just as much, if not more, fun for us. Our resort was beautiful and perfect for Ainsley. The pool had a walk-in ramp with shade. and the ocean had a little cove she could walk in as well. And we couldn't have asked for better weather.
philip and dad playing in pool
right outside our door
beach chairs in the water-- soo nice
first time in the ocean! 
Our townhouse was right on the ocean and about a minute walk to the pool. The montior almost reached to the pool but not quite. dangit! it did however reach to the putt putt green which made it nice for the adults to play at night:)

We used trusty ol' trip advisor to find our dinner spots at night. And again, it didn't let us down. We ate some delicious food, which is Philip's favorite part of vacation.
bags of sugar and water that are supposed to repel flies. my dad thinks its nonsense. 
 
 
 
 
the wooden spoon for breakfast
before/after
 
'breakfast' from the Cuban restaurant across the street 

Philip's second favorite part of vacation is the balcony. Sitting out there at night, having a glass of wine and talking about our day. We try to get a balcony wherever we go. We even had one in snowy switzerland!
Thursday was mine and Philip's "dating anniversary". 5 years since our first date on 8-08-08. So mom and dad watched ainsley while we went to a fancy dinner date at the 'Butterfly Cafe'.
he brought me a flower:)
On one of our dives I asked our instructor, Nick, if he had ever seen a seahorse. It is the one thing we have never seen and the one thing at the top of my 'to find' list every dive. He said to scour sea grass with a net and you could probably find one there. So Philip bought us each a net and we set out to find our sea horse. No luck:( but we will keep trying!
And of course it's not a vacation without some go-carting :) Philip and my dad were constantly knocking each other and spinning each other around while I happily toodled around unscathed:)
 
Philip pointing out he was "number one"
Also on this trip I learned my husband is part spider monkey.

 
 
fresh coconut and coconut milk is not as tasty as you would think/hope
It was a very relaxing trip. and a good transition to what vacationing means for us now:) Philip and I are used to doing whatever we want wherever the wind takes us on vacation. Clearly things are much different with a baby. But in an oh-so-much-fun-different.
first bath in the sink!  
 
 
seahorse monogrammed beach towel <3 
naked and worn out. 
 
 
banging on the coconut philip got her 
 
 
 
 
 

Ainsley is still recovering from her week of sun, sand and playing.
Our other child is also recovering from his week at 'camp' at For Paws. He comes back always looking so skinny!!!

1 comment:

L.B. said...

Love the new look of your blog and the trip looks like a great success with great pictures and memories.