Wednesday, November 13, 2013

NOLA

Friday morning we left for New Orleans for my good friend Hunter's wedding. We planned this trip months ago. And it was the first 'weekend away' from Ainsley. I was so so anxious to leave her. But it turned out just fine and she had a blast at Nana and Pops. 
We stayed right on Bourbon Street in the middle of the madness. Being on Bourbon Street taught me many things. The two main ones being 1) I am too old for that city 2) Ainsley will not be going to New Orleans until she is at least 35. I knew it was going to be crazy, but I didn't realize exactly how crazy. There was a Saints game there that weekend so that contributed to the chaos. I was amazed at the things women would do for a cheap string of plastic beads.  and I was saddened by the people who stood on the streets dressed/not dressed doing 'acts' for money. It was very interesting and just crazy (for lack of a better word). And while Philip and I are so glad we went and saw all there was to see, it is not somewhere I could spend more than a weekend. 
The first night there we just walked around and explored. We went to Dicky Brennan's Steakhouse and it was pretty good, then just walked bourbon st and toulouse. 
Saturday morning we had brunch at The Court of Two Sisters. It was one of the oldest places in NOLA and the buffet and atmosphere was awesome. my favorite meal of the trip.  we took a hop on/off bus around town and got away from Bourbon Street. Seth and Philip went to the World WarII museum and Erin and I went shopping. I had the best doughnut of my life at a place called 'The District'. That night was the meet/greet hosted by Drew's mom. It was at Oceana Grill and the New Orleans food was yummy. Jambalaya, Crawfish Etufe, Red Beans and Rice, and Pralines. 
The red Beans and rice were the best I have had:) 
after that we just hung out on Bourbon Street. 





The next morning we we got up and got coffee and beignets (my favorite food there by far!) and then went to the fleamarket and other outdoor shops. 
We got Po Boys for lunch overlooking bourbon street and then took a carriage ride around town.
 The wedding was Sunday night at the House of Blues. It was outside and so so pretty and unique. It was so clear how in love Hunter and Drew are. 
After the wedding everyone followed the bride and groom in a parade waving white handkerchiefs. it's apparently a New Orleans tradition. They had a live jazz band at the beginning of reception. it was soo fun!! After the reception we (well the 'younger ones') went down to bourbon st. Hunter went out in her wedding dress, knowing full well it would get ruined and not really caring:) It was a fun (but short lived) night out for Hunter;) 



Hunter on stage
bride and groom



It was such a fun weekend. We had a great time with Erin and Seth. I couldn't have been gone from Ainsley any longer than we were. But having her meet us at the airport was one of the sweetest moments for me:) I missed her so so much. 
Here are some random pics from the weekend. My innocent little eyes were opened a little farther... :)
scary 'statue' that you barely noticed until she tapped your shoulder

getting a 'lucky dog'

some random guy gave her a plastic shark  

hilarious guy who showed his 'boobies' to everyone. every night. right in front of out hotel.
late night pizza and hot dogs! 
morning road clean up

No comments: